Fundraising and events calendar
Please send us your fundraising news and photos so we can thank you publicly and encourage others to get involved. If you are planning any fundraising in 2014, please do let us know.
Please take a moment to send us your email address, so that we might update you more personally. Thank you.
Nigel and Judy's South West Coastal Path Walk
22nd August 2014
“Since we retired we have been walking sections of the South West Coastal Path beginning in Minehead and finishing in Poole totalling 630 miles. We aim to finish in August this year. Our friend Jane has completed well over half of the walk with us and our grandson Oli will complete the last section with us. Friends and family have also joined us on sections of the walk.
As many of you know Nigel has been under the excellent care of the Uro-Oncology Department in Oxford and we would like to raise money to support their ongoing research projects. We would be very grateful for any contribution you could give us.”
Take to the skies
Planned for September 2014
The story of Rachael and Danielle's sky dive:
“About 3 years ago my Dad was diagnosed urological cancer. I was only 19 at the time and wasn't sure how to deal with it so I started raising money for a local charity that helped my mum and dad out a lot. He was very lucky and after surgery got the all clear.
Obviously you have to keep going for check ups and unfortunately we have just found out that the cancer has returned and spread. It is inoperable and we don’t know how much time we have with him left. He is currently on chemo tablets and when I found out I knew exactly how to deal with it. By raising money once again. This time I decided to face my biggest fear - heights. The whole thing is for my hero - my daddy.”
And Alison Beaver told us a little more about her motivation:
“Having encouraged my children to live by Eleanor Roosevelt’s famous quote “Do one thing a day that scares you”, I knew that if I was to raise money for cancer, then I needed to do something bold and daring myself. So, having recently turned 50, and four years after undergoing extensive surgery and treatment for breast cancer at The Churchill, I decided that a tandem sky jump would be the best way of facing my abject fear of heights, whilst giving something back to those caring professionals committed to beating this disease.
My inspiration for choosing UCARE comes from my dear friend, Clive Stone, who was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 2007 and was on the set up committee of UCARE in its early days.”
Want to do a parachute jump yourself? You can do this for free by fundraising for UCARE.
UCARE charity golf day and Auction
5th September 2014
We hope you will join us another fantastic day of golf at our sixth annual golf day at Studley Wood.
There is the opportunity to invite non-golf playing guests to the meal and auction.
7th September 2014
A day of cycling to remember and opportunity to fundraise for UCARE too. Bike Oxford is a day of marked rides of 20, 50 and 80 miles taking in the best scenery of Oxford and the surrounding countryside.
Our thanks to Bike Oxford for giving us 2 free places – if you would like secure your free place with a pledge to fundraise for UCARE please get in touch on 01865 767777 or email email@example.com. Names for free tickets will be drawn on August 11th
UCARE Gardeners Question Time - Ask the Experts
Saturday 13th September 2014
At the Marlborough Enterprise Centre, Marlborough School, Woodstock.
Questions for the experts will be drawn at random from your booking form - you will be notified prior to the evening if your question has been successful.
Doors open at 6.00 pm to start questions at 7.00pm. Questions will be followed by refreshments - wine and canapés will be served.
- James Alexander - Sinclair who has designed show gardens at both the Chelsea Flower Show and the Westonbirt International Festival of the Garden and is on the committee of the RHS and judges Chelsea. Many of you will have seen him on TV and it’s a real coup for us.
Guest panellists include:
- Pippa Greenwood - For over 13 years, Pippa was a regular presenter on BBC 2’s 'Gardeners’ World', presenting many items on garden pests and diseases, science and gardening, and creating and running her organic kitchen garden from her Hampshire garden. She is also a regular panellist on BBC Radio 4’s Gardeners’ Question Time.
- Rob Jacobs - Rob is the Horticultural Manager at Waterperry Gardens in Oxfordshire, where he has worked for many years, after training and working at Kew Gardens.
- Dr Jeremy Biggs who is the co-founder and Director of the Freshwater Habitats Trust. Jeremy has over 25 years experience in the field of freshwater biology. His research interests focus on the maintenance of aquatic biodiversity at a landscape scale, and how different land management practices can mitigate the effects of pollution on the water environment. He leads several large partnership projects such as the Water Friendly Farming initiative and the Million Ponds Project.
£20 per ticket.
- To reserve your tickets and submit your question please complete the booking form (pdf)
Virgin Money London Marathon 2015
26th April 2015
UCARE has one Silver Bond Place for the Virgin Money London Marathon 2015.
Please let us know if you are interested in this place. You will need to be able to raise upwards of £300.